Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sweet & Salty - Take 2

Inspired from the previous night's success with dried beans (chili), I bought a one-pound bag of green lentils. I wanted to try out a Curried Lentils with Carrots and Peas recipe from a book I got at the library called "Vegan Planet," by Robin Robertson.
The initial setup and gathering of ingredients took a bit of time, but it did make me feel like I was really creating the flavors, rather than just using a pre-made curry paste or curry powder mixture.
Color palette components: curry powder, cardamom, cinnamon, dry mustard, chili powder, allspice and turmeric.
Garlic, leeks and ginger on their way into the food processor.  I cooked them in olive oil for about 5 minutes, and then added all the spices.  It took just 30 seconds to get it all combined, and it became this pat of aromatic goodness that looked just like what you would buy in a jar of "curry paste" - I was quite impressed with myself.  I wish I had a picture, but once it got to that point, I had to add the water right away so it wouldn't burn. Then I added the lentils.  After ten minutes, I added the carrot moon slices.
I let all that simmer for about 30 minutes (patience!!), and then I added the thawed peas, salt, pepper, and coconut milk.


It looked great, smelled pretty great, and was quite photogenic.  It tasted good.  Yes, I wouldn't say great.  It was actually not flavorful enough!  But the other eaters thought it tasted great.  So maybe I was experiencing the phenomenon of dulled senses.  Sometimes when I spend so much time over a dish, smelling all the ingredients as they go in and as they brew, my taste buds are so acclimated to the aroma that it no longer hits me once I sit down and eat it.  It's almost like my appetite gets satiated by the smells and little taste tests.  But I do have to say, I used "light" coconut milk, which definitely does not have as rich of a flavor.  And I could have added more salt.  So, next time?  Add more sweet (real coconut milk) and add more salt (we do need some salt in our diets!)  And, stay out of the kitchen during the 30 minutes of cooking!

Here's the recipe, copied straight from the book:
1 large yellow onion, cut into pieces (I used leeks because my dad doesn't like chewy onions)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp peeled and chopped fresh ginger
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne (I didn't have any so used chili powder)
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp turmeric
3 cups water
1 1/4 cups dried brow lentils, picked over and rinsed
2 medium-size carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into thin half-moons
3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. In a food processor, puree the onion, garlic and ginger.
2. Heat the olive oil in large saucepan over low heat. Add the onion puree, cover, and cook to mellow the flavor, about 5 minutes, stirring a few times. Stir in the spices and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add water and bring to a simmer. Add lentils, cover, and cook until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.  After 10 minutes, add carrots.
3. When lentils and carrots are tender, add peas, coconut milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, uncovered, to incorporate the flavors, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.

We ate this served over basmati rice, and ended up drizzling the rest of the can of coconut milk directly on top, for extra flavor. If you've never cooked Indian food or any kind of coconut curry, this recipe is a great place to start. It does involved a lot of different spices, but it's very easy and you can follow it directly, or trying adding extra coconut milk or spices to liven it up. Just follow your gut instinct for a balance of salt/spices and sweet coconut milk that works for you!

No comments: