Friday, June 1, 2012

Thank you for the vegan options: Cafe Mano

Ahh, writing this post from back in Chiang Mai....  I had such a great time in Seoul. Time went by so fast, but was full of meaningful times spent with good friends. Looking back, I managed to do a lot of stuff and go to a lot of places! But I'm thankful that I could also make time to slow down and relax, do something simple. Like spend a few hours in a cafe with a good drink and a great friend.
Yessss, certainly grateful for this glass of goodness: Red Bean Green Tea Frappe! Oh man, how can I even describe it? Most Koreans are probably no stranger to the combination of green tea and red bean. But it was a new flavor fusion for me.
Anything served on a doily has got to be pretty special...
And it was! When I first came to Asia about nine years ago, I thought the idea of putting beans in a dessert was a bit bizarre. I was disappointed on more than one occasion to bite into a pastry and find it filled with bean paste... instead of my beloved chocolate. But chocolate comes from a bean. As does coffee. So why not sweeten red beans and use them in desserts and drinks? Answer: why not indeed. Beans help create a great cakey or chewy texture, both of which we all know to be great for sweets. And they work in sweet drinks as well. There's something about the combo of red bean and green tea that I have no idea how to describe. Some foods were just made to be paired together. My very first sip of this frappe convinced me that red beans and green tea fall in that category.
Mipa got her own fancy drink, and of course we had to share, because sharing doubles the fun! Her cream-colored drink was a Brown Rice & Almond Shake. It was really quite delicious. It was smooth and light, gently sweetened, and with a distinct but very tasty nutty/grain flavor. I thought it was really good. But I have to say that the Red Bean Green Tea frappe was goooood... if you know what I mean.
Did I mention that these drinks are both vegan? We got them at Cafe Mano, a spectacular cafe in the Hyewah neighborhood of Seoul. Mipa and I actually came here together about two years ago. (I wonder if they remembered us? :)  It is one of the cheeriest, nicest, cleanest cafes I've ever been to (check out their bathrooms). And it's vegan-owned!
The two ladies that work there are kind, sweet souls. And the ambiance in their cafe is so peaceful and relaxing.
Not all the beverages and sweets are vegan, but everything is clearly labelled, and there are more vegan options than any other cafe I can think of.
Just look for the heart-shaped label to know which drinks are vegan.
In addition to this vegan Chick Pea Salad, there was another vegan "main dish," as well as brownies, cookies, pie, pat bingsu (a dessert made with ice and beans and fruit and other goodies) and more. The food is not cheap. (My frappe was 6,000 KRW, and Mipa's shake was about 5,500 KRW.) But it is high quality and served with love. I think they use mostly organic ingredients as well. I would love to keep going back - there was so much to choose from. Sadly, I was only in Seoul for a week... but now I have some motivation to check out the vegan baked good options I know of in Chiang Mai! Because I certainly appreciate having access to these kinds of cafes. Cafe Mano, perhaps one of my favorite places in Seoul.
It even had some information about vegetarianism and veganism. Not that I could read it... But I hope to be able to some day!
So, if you ever get a chance to go to Seoul. They're open Mon-Sat, 12:00 - 10:00pm, closed on Sundays and the third Monday of every month. ....

Wait for it.... wait... Yes! Check this post on Mipa's blog for directions and other info on Cafe Mano.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hmm, very different but I suppose I could try that. Bethany introduced Shayla to a green tea soy frap - and its her new favorite! So, maybe I could get her to try it with me. Now to find the ingredients. I know I've seen bean paste somewhere...