Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Spiffy Spinach Salad

Spinach salad for lunch? Well, it's a good start, but I wanted to bulk it up and make it more substantial.
So I grabbed some vegetables out of the fridge: zucchini, mushrooms, yellow bell peppers.
I sauteed some garlic and onion in olive oil (yup, that's the way I roll, this is pretty much how I start off most stir-fried vegetable dishes!) and then added the chopped up vegetables.
Then I had the great idea of making a sauce for the vegetables that would approximate the kind of salad dressing I wanted. So I added some grated ginger, soy sauce, sesame sauce, fresh squeezed lime juice, agave, and black pepper.
Once it cooked down, I put the veggies and all their sauce on top of the spinach.
It was kinda like using "Asian salad dressing" from a bottle (minus the preservatives and indecipherable ingredients) - but better!
About half the salad was raw (the spinach), and about half was cooked (zucchini, mushrooms and yellow bell peppers). Nice 50-50 balance. And the homemade "dressing" was also well balanced between sweet, salty, sour and ginger spicy.
I also had a little side-dish/dessert to finish off the lunch: wheaty homemade bread with strawberry preserves! Let that be a little prelude to a future blog post about homemade bread! ;)


No comments: